PORTLAND, Maine, August 2, 2023 — Smart Energy Decisions (SED), the first web-based information resource dedicated to addressing the information needs of large power customers, today announced the winners of its inaugural DEI Impact Awards that honors efforts in Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion in clean energy.
“Our goal in launching the DEI Impact Awards is to recognize the accomplishments of diverse groups within the clean energy community,” said Wes Doane, Vice President, Smart Energy Decisions.
Nominations were accepted for DEI projects and industry influencers from commercial, industrial, institutional, and government organizations across seven categories. Winners were selected by a panel of judges representing energy customer peers and industry experts.
2023 DEI Impact Award Winners
- Boston Medical Center (BMC) Brockton Behavioral Health Center
- Energy & Global Infrastructure, Google
- UAB Sustainability, University of Alabama
- Mentorship: Marianella Franklin, Chief Sustainability Officer, The University of Texas Rio Grande Valley
- Team: Sustainability Department, New York City Housing Authority
- Catalyst for Change:
- Sarah Porter-Liddell, Dean of Equity and Inclusion, Bard College at Simon’s Rock
- Emily Schapira, President and CEO, Philadelphia Energy Authority
- Pay It Forward: Susanna Webber, Senior Vice President, Global Supplier Management Group and Global Workplace Enterprise Services and Chief Procurement Officer, Merck
- Danielle Decatur, Director of Environmental Justice, Microsoft
- Waltasia Mansano, Manager, Clean Energy Jobs Program, PSE&G
- One to Watch:
- Colin Powell School for Civic and Global Leadership, The City College of New York
NRG Energy is the exclusive sponsor of the DEI Impact Awards. “We are honored to sponsor Smart Energy Decisions’ DEI Impact Awards and celebrate organizations whose DEI programs and initiatives have had an immeasurable impact,” said Jennifer Brunelle, Vice President, Diversity and Development, NRG. “As a company committed to ensuring that everyone and every voice is valued, we appreciate the opportunity to recognize peers who are equally dedicated to DEI.”
Award winners will be celebrated at SED’s Net Zero Forum Fall on September 20, 2023, at the Hilton Phoenix Tapatio Cliffs Resort in Phoenix, Arizona. They are also invited to participate in the event to make new connections, gain industry insights—and spark further accomplishments.
Join Net Zero Forum Fall
Professionals with Net Zero ambitions are encouraged to participate in the event’s 1:1 meetings or reserve a general attendee pass before the August 18 application and Early Bird pricing deadline.
Smart Energy Decisions
Smart Energy Decisions is the first web-based information resource dedicated exclusively to addressing the information needs of large power customers from commercial, industrial, institutional (higher education and healthcare), and government organizations. We deliver news, analysis, research and opinion through our newsletters and events to help our community make better decisions. Our goal is to serve as a catalyst for change in support of the dramatic energy transformation taking place in the electric power market that impacts energy customers, utilities, and suppliers. Learn more at smartenergydecisions.com.
Director of Marketing, Clean Energy